The Government has closed schools and asked parents to keep their children at home. In order to enable the country to respond to the Covid-19 emergency the Government is directing schools to be open only for those children who are vulnerable, and children whose parents are critical to the Covid-19 response and cannot be safely cared for at home.
Vulnerable children include children who are supported by social care, those with safeguarding and welfare needs, including child in need plans, on child protection plans, ‘looked after’ children, young carers, disabled children and those with EHCPs. Schools will also want to support other children facing social difficulties.
- If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.
- If a child needs specialist support, is vulnerable or has a parent who is a critical worker, then provision will be available for them.
- Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.
- Parents should also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They should observe the same social distancing principles as adults.
- Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings continue to care for children wherever possible.
If parents work is critical to the COVID-19 response and they cannot keep their child safe at home then they will be prioritised for education provision
Local Authority Message
Government Message –
The government has now released information for parents about what school closure means and revealed the list of key workers entitled to support during this time. It is a broad list and can be found here:
The guidance to parents is here:
Please find below the latest guidance for educational settings.
In terms of the advice that everyone should self -isolate if they are displaying confirmed or possible symptoms of coronavirus, the guidance for this can be found here.
As news of the virus continues to change I will keep you updated as to if it affects our school